As concerned parents, you often worry about the oral health of your child. The decision to get braces for your child can be difficult when you don’t know what to look for. Many parents wonder how old their child needs to be to get braces. All kids develop differently, and many experience uneven or misaligned teeth, possibly needing braces. We recommend that you seek an Orthodontic consultation for your child by age 7. We do not require a referral from a dentist to book a complimentary consultation for your child.
Does Your Kid Need Braces?
Some indicators that your child may need to start orthodontic treatment include the following:
- Crooked teeth
- Abnormal bite – underbite or overbite
- The bottom jaw appears too small or too large
- Trouble biting into food
- Difficulty chewing
- Biting cheeks or lips when eating
- Losing baby teeth too early or too late
- Permanent teeth emerge before losing baby teeth
- Thumb sucking
- Jaw underdevelopment
- Impacted permanent teeth
- Social reasons (child is feeling self-conscious or being teased about their teeth)
If you observe your child experiencing any of these indicators, schedule an appointment with our team of orthodontists.
Why Should Kids Get Braces?
You may wonder why your child should get braces now, opposed to later in life. Some reasons include:
- To prevent any detrimental effects on the teeth and the supporting structures of teeth
- To enhance their ability to eat
- To reduce discomfort and pain
- To improve their smile
- To improve their breathing
- To improve their self-confidence
What are the Advantages of Getting Braces as a Kid?
Starting your child’s orthodontic journey young can help improve their confidence, oral hygiene, and overall health. Some other advantages of getting childhood braces include:
- Better oral hygiene, reducing cavities and gum disease
- Improved speech
- Improved ability to chew
- Promotes positive jaw growth
- Reduces risk of uneven wear on teeth and gum recession
- Helps guide permanent teeth into position
- Improved lip closure
- Reduce critical judgements based on appearance
Trust the Braces Experts at Wonder West Orthodontics
Call us if you have questions or are concerned about whether your child may need braces. The team at Wonder West Orthodontics is here for all your orthodontic treatment needs. We specialize in braces for kids and can provide you with all the information you need to make an informed decision.